The PlayStation VR hype train gets a clip faster, as Sony’s upcoming virtual reality solution has won the big one at Gamescom 2016. Snapping up the Best Hardware award at the prestigious event.
Worth a mention that the category had only two nominees.
PlayStation VR and the ICAROS Flight App.
Interestingly, the Best Racing game also had two nominees, Forza Horizon 3 and Gran Turismo Sport, and that meant that the newly announced Driveclub VR missed out.
But at least Battlezone earned itself the Best Casual Game award.
Here is the rest of the list:
- Best of Gamescom – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Consumer Award – Battlefield 1
- Indie Award – Little Nightmares
- Best Add-On/DLC – Destiny: Rise of Iron
- Best Preview/Vision – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Booth – Mafia III
- Best Console Game (PS4) – For Honor
- Best Console Game (Xbox One) – Sea of Thieves
- Best Console Game (Wii U) – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best PC Game – For Honor
- Best Mobile Game – Mario Party Star Rush
- Best RPG – Final Fantasy XV
- Best Racing Game – Forza Horizon 3
- Best Action Game – Battlefield 1
- Best Simulation Game – NBA 2K17
- Best Sports Game – Steep
- Best Family Game – Skylanders Imaginators
- Best Strategy Game – Civilization VI
- Best Puzzle/Skill Game – Dragon Quest Builders
- Best Social/Online Game – Gwent: The Witcher Card Game
- Best Casual Game – Battlezone
- Best Multiplayer Game – Sea of Thieves
- Best Virtual Reality Game – Wilson’s Heart
- Best Hardware – PlayStation VR
So just like E3 2016, the big winner this time around was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which took home the Best of Gamescom award. Nintendo certainly has something going here.
But overall, this is excellent showing from Sony, as the PlayStation VR raked up a lot of points and stayed in conversation throughout the event.
Which it certainly needed ahead of its launch on October 13.
Are you surprised by any of the winners? Let us know in the comments.