Updated August 22nd 2016
We have gotten a lot of questions about exactly what the new Sony Playstation VR is all about, how much it will cost blah blah blah so as usual, we decided to kind of round up all the questions and answer them right here.
This is the most comprehensive Playstation VR FAQ on the web today.
Let’s get started.
What is the Sony Playstation VR?
It’s the new Virtual Reality hardware system from Sony. VR stands for Virtual Reality and it’s a unit that connects to the Sony Playstation 4 or PS4.
Is it a general system or is it intended for games?
Sony say it is primarily a gaming system.
What is Virtual Reality gaming?
It’s speculated that this is the new frontier in consumer gaming. It provides a “360 degree” view of the game or application that is really immersive to the player. This is a contrast to regular 2d gameplay where a user interacts with a screen in front of him and her.
When will the Sony Playstation VR be available?
The PlayStation VR should be available on October 13th, 2016.
What are the Playstation VR specs?
Here are the reference specs:
- Product Code: CUH-ZVR1 series
- Release Date: October 13, 2016
- External Dimensions are as follows:
VR headset: Approx. 187×185×277 mm (width × height × length, excludes largest projection, headband at the shortest)
Processor unit: Approx. 143×36×143 mm (width × height × length, excludes largest projection)
VR headset: Approx. 610g (excluding cable)
Processor unit: Approx. 365g
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Size: 5.7 inches
- Panel Resolution: 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
- Refresh Rate: 120Hz, 90Hz
- Field of View: Approximately 100 degrees
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
- Connection Interface: –VR headset: HDMI, AUX, Stereo Headphone Jack
- Processor unit: HDMI TV, HDMI PS4, USB, HDMI, AUX
- Processor Unit Function: 3D audio processing, Social Screen (mirroring mode, separate mode), Cinematic mode
How much content is being developed for the Sony Playstation VR?
Sony says that more than 230 developers are currently making content for PlayStation VR, including more than 160 software titles.